Sunday, December 19, 2010

Introductions please....

Hello everyone from cyberland!  I guess I should introduce myself. 

I am 31, live in Kissimmee, FL, with my wonderful, supportive husband and my three dogs, Bean, Barkley and Buddy. 

The facts:
I have been overweight my WHOLE life, but I have really lost control over the last 10 years.  In 2001 I weighed 260 pounds on a 5"3" frame.  I was living in a small town in NC and had met a wonderful man who lived in Florida.  We made the decision to get married and I moved.  Well, combine a lifestyle change, increased availability of fast food by about 1 million percent, and birth control, by 2006 I was up to 315 pounds.

I started researching Lap-Band in 2006 and visited a great doctor in Florida but then my insurance changed and the new coverage specifically excluded WLS.  So I gave up...

Fast forward to April, 2010 - my weight was 370 pounds!!!  My husband and I were on a Caribbean cruise, having a great time, but on April 28th, something inside me snapped.  We were stopped in Roatan, Honduras.  We had planned a great day with a private tour guide, but I couldn't even make it up the hill to meet the guide.  I stood in the middle of the street and cried.  Like, CRIED.  Complete breakdown.  Looking back now, I'm sure the people were wondering what on earth was wrong with the fat chick.  I knew I had to do something to change or I would die.

It took me about 6 months of going to the gym, losing a few pounds here and there to come back around to the Lap-Band.  In late September I started researching again and I found Dr. Ortiz.  Most people freak out when I tell them I'm going to Mexico for my surgery.  But I could not find a more experienced, prolific doctor in the US.  I know someone who has done this almost 8000 times can handle it, and I trust him.

I made my decison n October 4 and my life change began.  I was told I would need to lose 48 pounds by my surgery date of December 28.  Now this is still a work in progress.  I have 9 days left and still need to lose 12 pounds, but I am determined.  If I feel this good after 30 pounds...how great will I feel further down the road??  I can't wait to find out!!

So anyway, if you are still reading...I'm glad I didn't bore you.  The pics are from the fateful cruise - though not in Roatan...LOL.  I guess I will break down and take some "before surgery" pics in the next week or so...watch out!!


Oh, and by the way...we are planning to take this same cruise again next November - just so I can kick that hill's ass!!

No comments:

Post a Comment